ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846

Lest we ForgetSubscribe to Lest we Forget

Massacre at Muzaffarnagar

THE simple facts of the Muzaffarna- gar massacre of October 18, 1976 are: the inhabitants of Khalapar, a predominantly lower class Muslim locality of Muzaffarnagar, took it upon themselves during the heyday of the Emergency to protest against the use of coercion in the implementation of the family planning drive; even though the protest was peaceful, the District Magistrate thought that the slightest concession to popular clamour would mean the thin end of the wedge; he ordered the assembled herd to disperse and go back t o their hovels; the herd insisted on the withdrawal of the police and the return of the six or seven members of the locality who had been taken away for sterilisation; the deadlock continuing, around 4 pm, the DM ordered the police to open fire; curfew was imposed in the city; there was a second, and sustained, round of firing in Khalapar; stray police firing took place in some other parts of the city also.

The Dead and the Barely Living

minor and ineffectual share in the market. What is more, the erstwhile tendency of CCI to go in for mini cement plants, which were ordained uneconomic by official pronouncement, is in danger of being revived under the objective of an employment-oriented industrialisation programme.

Life and Death in Kerala s Torture Camps

Life and Death in Kerala's Torture Camps (By a Special Correspondent) THE publicity given to the tragic case of P Rajan (see "Lest We Forget", April 16) has helped to bring to light a large number of other instances of brutal police torture of detenus in Kerala. More and more cases of "missing persons" and torture victims are coming out in the open. One such gruesome story is that of Abraham Benher, a research scholar, who narrated his experiences in one of Kerala's police torture camps to the Press a few days back. Incidentally, Benher has confirmed that Rajan was killed during police torture. According to him, this was known to the armed police guards on duty on March 4 and 5 at the torture camp at Kakkayam, Calicut.

In Due Season

under suspension in connection with the Rajan case) came, He took out his cigarette packet, opened it and, looking at Benher, said: "Please". Benher was about to touch the cigarette when he got a thundering blow on the head. He fell down. For good measure, Pulikkodan gave him a kick.

Emergency in an Academic Ghetto

authority') pressure. In Bangalore, a nationalised bank wrote off dues amounting to Rs 85 lakhs though it had a court decree against the borrower, a kraft paper importer. In Bom- hay, the biggest of the banks gave large limits -

Murder at Bagha Purana

imperialism, and those who do not see much fault in the indigenous species of either capitalists or landowners. From there, it is but one short haul to launching a rousing campaign, come what may, to protect, at the political level, the interests of the landlord-big industrialist hegemony.

The Story of Rajan

The Story of Rajan (By a Special Correspondent) P RAJAN was a final year student of the Regional Engineering College, Calicut. He excelled not only in studies but also in extra-curricular activities like singing and acting and thus endeared himself to fellow-students and teachers. On February 29, 1976, he was at the Farook College, Calicut, participating in the Calicut University Youth Festival. He returned to his college hostel in the early hours of March 1, tired and sleepy. As he was hastening to his room he was accosted by some police officials who got him into a jeep and drove away, Rajan's father, T V Eachara Varier, a retired professor of Hindi staying at Cochin, received a registered letter on March 2 from the Principal of the Regional Engineering College informing him that his son had been arrested. Stunned by the news of the arrest of his only son, Varier went to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Northern Zone. He also talked to the Calicut District Congress Committee President and sought his help in getting his son released. Neither meeting was fruitful.
Back to Top