ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846
-A A +A

Uttar Pradesh Motion without Movement

interest on fixed capital, depreciation and imputed value of family labour were taken into account it covered 31 per cent of the cost. The same varied from 25 per cent in case of 2-3 hectares category to 38 per cent in case of marginal farmers. We also looked into the sources of financing the installation of private tube- wells (Table 8). It will be seen that institu tional sources, i e, land development banks and commercial banks, accounted for only 13 per cent of the finances, contrary to the general impression that credit institutions finance a major share of such installations. More astounding was the fact that sale of land accounted for 15 per cent of the source for finance and mortgage of land another 3 per cent. Thus sale and mortgage of land together accounted for 18 per cent of the sources of finance as against 13 per cent provided by institutional sources. Savings from agriculture accounted for 43 per cent of the finance and private borrowings accounted for 7 per cent of the sources. This shows not only the inadequacy of the institutional sources in meeting such an important investment need but also shows the dynamics of the farmers who are even prepared to sell and mortgage their land to instal tube-wells so that overall productivity may rise- Uttar Pradesh: Motion without Movement Amaresh Misra The BJP's latest moves on the mandir issue have not only brought the focus of political attention back to Ayodhya, but have thrown the opposition once again into a state of confusion.

Subscribers please login to access full text of the article.

New 3 Month Subscription
to Digital Archives at

826for India

$50for overseas users

Get instant access to the complete EPW archives

Subscribe now

Comments

(-) Hide

EPW looks forward to your comments. Please note that comments are moderated as per our comments policy. They may take some time to appear. A comment, if suitable, may be selected for publication in the Letters pages of EPW.

Back to Top