ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846

A+| A| A-

Suing the Police

Suing the Police A G Noorani Like any other statutory body, the police can be made to perform its statutory duties by a simple writ of mandamus by the high court. While compensation cases will have to be filed as ordinary civil suits, it is now well settled that in writ cases also courts have the power to award compensation for the violation of fundamental rights, for instance, the right to life and personal liberty.

To read the full text Login

Get instant access

New 3 Month Subscription
to Digital Archives at

₹826for India

$50for overseas users


(-) Hide

EPW looks forward to your comments. Please note that comments are moderated as per our comments policy. They may take some time to appear. A comment, if suitable, may be selected for publication in the Letters pages of EPW.

Back to Top