ISSN (Print) - 0012-9976 | ISSN (Online) - 2349-8846
-A A +A

MAHARASHTRA-Social Basis of Sharing Irrigation Water-Central Issue in Well-being of Poor

 MAHARASHTRA Social Basis of Sharing Irrigation Water Central Issue in Well-being of Poor M D Sathe MAHARASHTRA is split up in two segments, separate and unequal. One is Bombay-Pune industrial zone (35 per cent) and the other is the rest of rural Maharashtra (65 per cent). In the latter again since the Sixties a small island of prosperity has come up around the canal based flow irrigation coupled with sugarcane cultivation and sugar co-operatives. The entire politics of Maharashtra revolves around this institutionalised power axis and the rest of rural Maharashtra is really held as a hostage. Thus the nature of conflict is essentially rural and unrelated to the over-developed urban Bombay metropolis.

Subscribers please login to access full text of the article.

New 3 Month Subscription
to Digital Archives at

826for India

$50for overseas users

Get instant access to the complete EPW archives

Subscribe now

Comments

(-) Hide

EPW looks forward to your comments. Please note that comments are moderated as per our comments policy. They may take some time to appear. A comment, if suitable, may be selected for publication in the Letters pages of EPW.

Back to Top