NSE – IGIDR Corporate Governance Research Initiative
NSE – IGIDR Corporate Governance Research Initiative
Call for Research Proposals - 2016
The National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR) are collaborating to promote academic research on Corporate Governance in India. This is the thirdyear of this Initiative. The Initiative invites academics and scholars working in the areas of economics, finance, law and management disciplines to submit research proposals that are relevant for understanding, designing and implementing best-practice corporate governance policies.Proposals can be submitted under two categories, those specific to India (Group 1) and those relevant to emerging market economies in general (Group 2). Six projects in total will be selected by the Initiative and a token honorarium of USD 2000 will be paid per project.
The topics of interest to the Initiative include but are not limited to:
- Ownership and control structures, their evolution, minority shareholder rights,the role of large shareholders and institutional investors
- Governance issues in family firms/business groups including the role of internalmarkets, insider control, relational contracting and succession planning
- Board size, CEO duality, role of independent directors, Board assessment and term limits
- Gender and board diversity
- Auditor and audit committee independence
- Accounting and auditing standards, disclosure practices, transparency, and earnings management
- Related party transactions
- Role of proxy advisors in governance
- Governance of financial institutions and institutional investors
- Governance by financial institutions and institutional investors
- Corporate social responsibility and socially responsible investing
- Governance of public and private sector companies including listed and unlisted companies
- Executive compensation
- Mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance
- Corporate governance index
- Laws, regulations and enforcement
- The role of value, ethics, and trust in governance
PROCEDURE FOR SUBMITTING RESEARCH PROPOSALS
Researchers can submit proposals in Group 1 or Group 2 or both. Each research proposal should consist of at most three single-spaced pages, and must mention the Group under which it is submitted, project title, CV of the principal investigator (PI) and the institution where the PI is affiliated; information on any co-PIs; a one-paragraph summary of the project; the project's intended contribution relative to the literature; the data to be employed; research methodology; and preliminary results (if any). While research proposals that are in the early stages of conception/formulation are also encouraged by the Initiative, proposals that are at relatively advanced stages are more likely to be accepted, provided they are still revisable.However, the project must not have been sent for publication in any form (working paper or otherwise) and the authors of the selectedprojects must undertake to firstpublish their papers in the Working Paper Series of the NSE and IGIDR.
The deadline for submitting research proposal is July 31, 2016. Research proposals should be emailed in a single file in pdf format to: email@example.com. Project approval decisions will be intimated by , 2016.Fifty percent of the honorarium will be made available upon approval of the proposal and the remaining fifty percent will be made available if the following conditions are met:
The Principal investigator of the approved project must
- Submit a preliminary draft by November30, 2016 for peer review. The Initiative will provide the author with a review report within a month of submission.
- Submission of the first revised draft incorporating reviewer comments by March 1, 2017.
- Present (or have a co-author present) the revised draft at a research conference to be organized by the NSE-IGIDR in Mumbai, India in end March, 2017 (dates to be confirmed).The NSE would cover the expenses relating to economy class airfare, accommodation and local transport arrangements for the presenter of the paper in the conference.
- Submit a second draft incorporating reviewer comments and discussions at the Conference byMay 31, 2017, on which a final set of comments will be provided by June 30, 2017.
- Submit by July31, 2017, a final paper that gives due consideration to all comments and feedback for inclusion in the Working Paper series of the NSE and IGIDR.
The committee to screen and approve the projects consists of:
WenxuanHou: University of Edinburgh Business School
Jayant Kale: Northeastern University, Boston, USA
JayatiSarkar: Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, India
SubrataSarkar: Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, India
BurcinYurtoglu: WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, Germany
NSE is the largest exchange in India that has brought about a high degree of transparency, speed, efficiency and safety in the Indian securities market. As part of its mandate, NSE uses listing and disclosure standards and compliance monitoring to promote high standards of governance in its listed companies. Besides, it conducts workshops and seminars to discuss issues relating to corporate governance.
IGIDR is an advanced research institute located in Mumbai and established by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the country's central bank.Faculty and students at IGIDR contribute to qualityresearch in the areas of money, finance, governance and other areas related to development.The Institute carries out projects funded by various international organizations like the World Bank, USAID, Asian Development Bank, and IMF. IGIDR is well known for its biennial India Development Report that surveys contemporary economic issues.
INDIRA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH
Urgently requires well qualified and experienced persons for the post of “Accounts Officer” in the payscale P3 - 15600-39100 with Grade Pay of Rs. 5400 plus allowances as per the rules of the Institute. Eligible and experienced candidates may also be considered in the payscale P3 – 15600-39100 with Grade Pay of Rs. 6600. The probation period will be two (02) years. The incumbent will be placed in appropriate pay scale after probation, as per the rules.
Qualification: M.Com/CA/ICWA/MBA (Finance) - Full Time Degree Certificate.
Experience: Minimum 10 years relevant experience out of which 3 years should be as “Accounts Officer” or “Jr. Accounts Officer” preferably in an academic institution/University. He/ she should be familiar with accounting modules/automation with hands on experience on Tally/ ERP module. Should have Strong Microsoft and Excel skills with good organizing, administrative skills and excellent attention to details.
- Age: 40-50 years.
- Reservations will be applicable as per Government Policy.
- Residential quarter will be provided in the campus subject to availability.
- Second Class to and fro rail fare will be paid on production of their ticket to those outstation candidates called for interview.
Kindly visit our website http://www.igidr.ac.in/careers/ for further details.
Application mentioning the ‘Post applied for Accounts Officer’ on the envelope, along with all relevant documents showing proof of age, experience, qualification and two references should be submitted by 7th July, 2016, to:
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research,
Santosh Nagar, Film City Road,
Goregaon-E, Mumbai-400 065.
Mere fulfillment of the minimum qualifications etc. will not vest any right on a candidate for being called for interview. The Institute reserves the right to shortlist the candidates for interview and relax the selection criteria in exceptional cases.